Have an extra special Thanksgiving this season in Rancho Sahuarita
With Thanksgiving and the season of gratitude happening later this month, is a great time to recognize and appreciate the things in life that we have to be grateful for. From our family and loved ones, to friends and neighbors, there are plenty of opportunities to spend time with the ones closest to us.
Rancho Sahuarita is about the things in life that are universal; family, friends and fun. Our families are the ones that stand by us, protect us, challenge us, and love us unconditionally. Be sure to spend time off this season connecting with those closest to you, whether it be through cooking together, playing an afternoon football game, or spending time catching up. You can also take a walk or jog together on the community’s many miles of trails, giving you the chance to spend quality time, get some exercise and appreciate the beauty of the desert in the fall.
Speaking of cooking together, here is a great recipe for Guiltless Pumpkin Pie, courtesy of our staff nutritionist and community resident, Sarah Marrs.
Guiltless Pumpkin Pie
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice or ¾ tsp each ground cinnamon and Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 15-oz can pumpkin
- 1 5-oz can fat free evaporated milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9-inch pie plate, and set aside.
- Place eggs in large bowl and beat with fork or whisk. Add sugar, spices, and salt, stir well.
- Stir in pumpkin and evaporated milk.
- Pour mixture into prepared pie plate and bake for 40-45 minutes or until center is set. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack. Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving time.
- When serving, add a spoonful of whipped topping to each slice if desired and sprinkle with a little ground cinnamon
New events like Tamales and Tequila on November 5th, or the Thanksgiving Healthy Living lecture on November 19th are great opportunities to spend some time with fellow residents and learn new things that will be helpful in the kitchen these upcoming holiday seasons.
Having an attitude of gratitude is important, and as part of that it is important to give back. There are also plenty of those opportunities close to home too. Beginning this month on the 4th of each month from 4:00 – 6:00 p.m., a new event, “Come 4th and Donate” gives residents that chance to drive by the front of Club Rancho Sahuarita and drop off donations to benefit the Sahuarita Food Bank. You can also get involved with many local organizations, like the Green Valley-Sahuarita Volunteer Clearinghouse, (http://gvsvolunteering.org), which can help you connect with lots of ongoing volunteer opportunities and ways to give back.
Celebrate the reason for the season this Thanksgiving, and enjoy all there is to be grateful for.